A semen analysis is one of the first tests required for any man beginning his fertility evaluation. Semen is the fluid that is released when a man ejaculates. Semen carries the sperm in fluids that should nourish and protect it. The male partner is asked to provide a semen sample by masturbating into a sterile plastic cup. If masturbation is not culturally acceptable, your doctor can provide you with a special condom in which to collect semen during intercourse.
The semen analysis provides a lot of information about the quantity and quality of both semen and the sperm it contains. Some of the things that are measured are:
- How much semen a man produces (volume)
- The total number of sperm in the semen sample (total count)
- The number of sperm in each milliliter of semen (concentration)
- The percentage of sperm that are moving (motility)
- If the sperm are the right shape or not (morphology)
The analysis can also suggest if you have an infection in your reproductive system.
Please call Conceive Fertility Center at 214-224-0778 to schedule your semen analysis.